zaterdag 9 februari 2019

The Alliance Tournament Legion's First


Last weekend I went to the Alliance tournament, a large scale 40K tournament which had a Star Wars Legion small side tournament. The venue was great. Under an hour drive from my house which was nice for a change as most of the wargaming convetions and tournaments are usually over 2,5 hours drive from my house. The venue itself was great. The Schiphol hotel felt very luxourious compared to the gaming stores I normally go to. The tournament had 120 players for 40K and a whole whopping ........4 for Legion. definately something we need to work at promoting our game. I think we can draw more people in these tournaments when we ditch the whole tournament setting and name. Let's just call it an "event day" or "campaign". there aren't a lot of hardcore players for Legion and most people shy away from these tournaments because the feel inadequate and don't know the rules well enough. Most of the players in the tournaments however are more then happy to help new players and coach opponents through any game situation.  

There were 3 tables set up for legion. I had offered to bring my Tatooine table and so I came to the tournament half an hour early to set it up. The other tables looked good as well so we were set to have a lot of fun.

The organisation of the 40K tournament was great. all tables had a lot of nice looking scenery on it, every round started of with a very nice mission briefing video, there was a website with live updates of the player rankings, we all got water bottles to stay hydrated and the buffet...oh wow, that alone was well worth the ticket price. I'm definately going again which I believe will be May 4th for a special star wars themed event day.

This table on the left was set up by Tabletop Kingdom as a star wars legion demo table. It looks great and has a lot of nice looking line of sight blocking scenery on it. Over the event it even drew some attention from the 40K players curious about the Legion gaming rules.
The second table as a snowy cargo spaceport table. The lay out of the table was good but it had lot's of wide open spaces.
Table 3. My Tatooine table
CLICK TO ENLARGE
The third table was my tatooine table. The gaming mat was supplied by the tournament organisation. I got a lot of nice comments about the table and the players had fun playing on it. Having other people enjoy using my terrain give me a really good feeling so I'm hoping to add some more terrain to the "Mos Alta" table and continue to work on my industrial space table so I can bring two tables to the next event.

Below are some random shot's of my gaming table and below that some pictures of how my games went.






I tried out a new list which I never played before. I decided to field the wonder twins for the first time. I had Luke and Leia in the command slots, a sniper and proton strike team with a unit of wookie warriors filling out the special forces slots. Than a unit of fleet troopers and 3 units of rebel troopers each with a Z-6 and extra man in the unit.

For my first game I was watch up against Frank's imperial forces. He had a list with palpatine, royal guards and Boba Fett and filled the rest of the list with 2 sniper teams and storm trooper units. 
All I can say aboout the game is that I had a plan and everything went my way in this game. My units were in the right range all of the time. The timing of my command cards played out wonderfull and the fact that Frank rolled really bad with his red defence dice helped a lot too. I rolled up his army in round three. The plan worked and I was very fortunate with my dice rolls. 










My second game was against Joost who also had an imperial list with Veers, Boba Fett, double speeder bikes, an E-web, sniper team and couple of bare storm trooper units.

For this game a didn't really have a plan. I layed down a lot of fire towards his speeders and Veers but I was unable to criple any of them. On the other hand I lost most of my trooper unts pretty quickly and ended up with only my commanders, Luke & Leia with the Wookies at the last turn. My opponent outscored me on objectives and the game was lost.


The last game was against Hielke, an opponent I had faced before. In the previous tournament I had beaten him because I payed attention to the objectives and the clock. We had to end that game before it was turn six.

This time we started our game half an hour late and I had to quit half an hour early because I had other things to do that evening. We took 15 minutes to deploy and then only had an hour left to play. Because that's really short for a game of Legion we both made descicions we normally wouldn't. Both armies raced to the middle and all caution was thrown in the wind. 
It was really cool to play against a beautifull painted army on my table and I still enjoyed it even though it was too short.





I would like to thank the tournament organisers and tabletop kingdom for making this possible and hope we can grow our Legion-event-days from here. You guys are great, thank you! If they ever need any assistance in the future with other Legion events I will happily help them.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Let me know what you think....